Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Pre Dig Jitters

Tomorrow morning I leave for my first trip to Israel. After 18 years of trying, finances and Norm saying yes coincided for the first time and I'm going on an archeological dig with ABR, Archeological Biblical Research. We are digging for proof of the city of Ai at Khirbet el-Maqatir. You can find the story of the conquest of Ai in the book of Joshua, chapters 7-8. I'm also hoping to be able to do some tours and take in the places Jesus walked...Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Galilee...maybe even swim in the Dead Sea.
Why a dig? I considered archeology as a career before choosing to become an elementary teacher, and I always wondered if I would have enjoyed it.
Why Israel? I am a student of the Scriptures and just going where it all took place will be awesome.
I'd appreciate your prayers as I travel 10.5 hours to Tel Aviv and then try to find my way to Yad Hashmonah where I will be staying. I've not met anyone on the team, I hope I fit in. And I need stamina to do the work at the dig. Our day starts at 4:30 am.
Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment