Thursday, June 9, 2011

Traveling to Israel

Norm and I left early in the morning to get me to Newark Airport where I planned to catch a flight on El Al to Tel Aviv, Israel. A blue tape cut off any access to the counter and I was met by a security agent. To get to the counter I had to answer questions. Did you pack your bags? Did anyone give you a package to bring? Has your luggage been out of your sight? Where are you going? Why are you going? Why isn't your husband going with you? I answered honestly, and finally made it to the ticket counter where all the agents were speaking Spanish. Unexpected...
I made it through the second security gate with 3 hours to spare and wait. The plane sat at the gate being loaded with luggage and supplies. I watched, then walked around, ate some lunch and waited some more. A lot of Hasidic Jews prepared to board the plane. I guess I always thought they were like the Amish and didn't use modern conveniences, but a lot of them had cell phones and computers.
After we took off, many of the men got up. They stood all up and down the aisles and put on black robes, top hats over their yarmulke, wrapped a cord around their waist, and began to bow up and down, a few bowed right and left. One led in a chant. I noticed a few men were standing, but not praying.
They finished their prayers, took off all the extra clothes, spent some time talking and then sat down. A few hours later, they got up again. They put on the coat, hat and rope and bowed in prayer again. Not so many joined the prayer.
Later, just before the plane landed, they got up again. This time they put phylacteries on their foreheads and arms and placed a prayer shawl over their head. Each action deliberately and carefully done. The steward tried to get them to sit down in preparation for landing, but most refused. Finally the pilot told them to pray from their seats.
I thought about the visibility and frequency of their prayers. They prayed faithfully, several times a day, very steeped in tradition, the clothes, the phylacteries...very much outward actions,in the open for all to see, but I couldn't tell what was going on inside. Were they sincere? or was it because it was expected of them? Probably a mix, just like in our churches.
It made me consider my own prayer life. I don't consider myself a prayer warrior, but I do consider prayer an essential part of walking with Christ. I don't have a set time each day when I drop everything and pray, but I know of its benefits.
The real question: How much do I value prayer? Jesus rose early to pray. He spent time with His Father, it was a priority of His life.
"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment